Nevada Department of Veterans Services

5460 Reno Corporate Dr. 

Reno, NV 89511

Tel (775) 688-1653                           Toll Free: 866-630-8387 

Website:                  Fax: 775-688-1656


  • Military/Veteran License Plates

The Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles offers several distinctive license plates for veterans that include:

Ex-Prisoner of War    Disabled Veteran    Purple Heart    Veteran    Pearl Harbor Survivors & Veterans    Congressional Medal of Honor

Applications for special plates can be obtained at your local DMV Office or by calling (775) 684-4750 in Carson City.




Veteran Service Offices

5460 Reno Corporate Dr. Suite 131    OR        950 W. Owens Dr.  Room 111

Reno, NV 89511                                                    Las Vegas, NV  89106

Tel: 775- 688-1653                                                 Tel: 702-636-3070

Fax: 775-688-1656                                                  Fax: 702-486-5268


Carmen Rank, Transition Assistance Advisor (TAA) Skyline Ultd. Inc. Contractor

Nevada National Guard Military & Family Support Service Center

685 E. Plumb Lane Armory

Reno, NV  89502

Tel: 775-384-5837                             Fax: 775-348-51

Cell: 775-312-0088                            Email:



           1.      FREE TUITION

“NRS 396.540 affords some members of the Armed Forces of the United States tuition benefits when they enroll in the University or Community College System of Nevada.  Contact your local school registrar’s office or the Board of Regents for details”   

Source: State Benefits for Veterans: Nevada Office of Veterans Services.   [PDF brochure]

             2.      VA-COUNSELING

Educational and Vocational Counseling:

The program assesses vocational interests, aptitudes, and abilities. Explores vocational career opportunities. Selects an appropriate vocational goal. Addresses barriers that may impede success in training or employment, and develops educational program objectives

Eligibility:  The spouse or a child of a service-connected veteran or a person who died on active duty-if you qualify for DEA (CH 35).

Website:    OR

Apply using VA form 28-8832, Application for Vocational Educational Counseling at


Source:  Benefit Details: VA-Counseling-Educational and Vocational Counseling (2011).  [PDF doc.]



Civil Service Preference:

“Civil service preference is given to veterans applying for State employment in Nevada. Veterans with service-connected disabilities receive additional preference. For information, contact the Nevada Department of Personnel at (775) 684-0150 in Carson City or (702) 486-2900 in Las Vegas”

(** No mention of spouses.  Be sure to clarify if surviving spouses are eligible.)





a. “Nevada offers a property tax exemption to any veteran with a service-connected disability of 60% or more.”

b. “The amount of exemption that is or will be available to disabled veterans varies from $6,250 to $20,000 of assessed valuation, depending on the percentage of disability and the year filed.”

c. “The widow or widower of a disabled veteran, who was eligible for this exemption at the time of his or her death, may also be eligible to receive this exemption.”

d. “This exemption can be applied to a veteran’s vehicle tax or personal property tax.”




           1.      ASSISTANCE WITH CLAIMS

“Any veteran family member of a veteran or Nevada resident on Active Duty can receive free assistance in filing a claim with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for a service-connected disability, pension or other benefit program.  Assistance includes help in filing claims, representation at local hearings, appeals and discharge upgrades.”

             2.      GUARDIANSHIP PROGRAM

“Nevada State Law permits the Nevada Office of Veterans’ Services to act as the financial guardian for incompetent veterans, their widows and children.”

              3.      DOCUMENTS

“Veterans or their dependents filing claims for service-connected disabilities may receive a one-time free copy of their birth, divorce, death or marriage certificate from the appropriate county courthouse.”


           4.      CEMETARY PLOTS

Eligible veterans and members of their immediate family may be buried at the Northern Nevada Veterans Memorial cemetery in Fernley, NV, or the Southern Nevada Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Boulder City.  There is no charge for the gravesite of a veteran.  A $450.00 fee, (subject to change), is charged for the burial of the spouse or dependent of a veteran.

Contact:  Northern Nevada at 775-575-4441 or Southern Nevada at 702-486-5920

Source: State Benefits for Veterans: Nevada Office of Veterans Services.   [PDF brochure]

Comments are closed.